WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, May 20, 2007

first quilt

I began sewing in 4H at age 8. By 11, I was making full cotton skirts and progressed to tailoring in high school. I made boys shirts for school, blazers for Easter (tailored pants only once - those zippers got me), dresses, suits, coats and progressed to prom dresses. When DD went to college, I decided to make her a quilt - with no knowledge of quilting. I took a picture of mountains and a lake to school and enlarged it on the opaque projector. Cut it apart for a pattern and added 5/8" seam allowances. Somehow it went together with many curved seams. That was appliqued onto doublecloth, layered and quilted minimally. It is in use still, amazing. In 1993, my mother came to live with us, I stopped teaching and my husband retired. I took 18 classes in 18 months! The quilt shop became my second home. Teaching and designing are my favorite aspects of quilting now.

1 Comments:

  • At May 21, 2007 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Wow, I cannot imagine living where there's such a large quilt shop that it would offer so many classes! Where do you live, MJ? Maybe I'll come visit for a few months .... LOL

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home