WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Quilt Beginnings

I began sewing when I was 7 years old when I made a dress for myself with the help of the neighbor lady who was an accomplished seamstress. I used to stand up to sew at my grandma's old Singer with the knee control. She'd always try to slide a chair under me but standing up felt right. I can't picture doing that now! I started quilting in June of 1992 when I was expecting our son. I bought a McCall's or Simplicity pattern--the only kind of patterns I was familiar with-- for what was actually an appliqued baby quilt--a big teddy bear stitched to a background--which I did with a machined satin stitch. It wasn't half bad and weathered use ok. I think I packed it away with his baby keepsakes. My second quilt was a log cabin in purple and green--great big 12" blocks--I figured the bigger the block, the fewer I'd have to make! It's still in use and holding up ok as a cat blanket. All my quilts are done by machine--I'd still be on my first quilt if I did it by hand. However, if I ever tackle another queen-size quilt, it will be sent out to a longarmer for quilting--I did that ONCE and it was enough!!! I've kept a pretty good record of how many quilts I've made in the 15 years--many are small wall quilts. I found I average one quilt about every 2 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home