WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, May 25, 2007

How Did I Get Started Quilting?

I am a visual, hands on, self taught kind of person. My mother taught me the basics of sewing around the age of six and I haven't quit since. I started making most of my clothes while in the early teens. Throughout the years I made almost everything my daughter and I wore and some of my sons clothes. Even two dress suits for him.

Almost every kind of hand craft has caught my attention and I've tried my hand at most of them:painting, macrame, weaving, decoupage, cross stitch, embroidery, crochet, quilting, and now knitting. Crochet, quilting, and knitting being my favorites.

My first quilt was made around the age of 15/16. I embroidered small blocks about 8" square of animals in different activities, sewed them together, and hand quilted it into a baby blanket. I later used it when my daughter came along when I was 19. She now has it. When she and her brother were small I made several quilts for them along with a few others throughout the years.

The quilt bug didn't really sink its' teeth into me though until 1999. The children no longer lived at home. In their place my husband and I were living with and caring for my parents and another old man. I turned to quilting as a MUCH needed outlet. It is very hard mentally, physically, and emotionally to care for sick and dying invalids. Quilting was my escape. I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't been here for me.

After going full throttle though from late 1999 until July 2006, I burned out. I took up knitting. A craft I have always wanted to learn, but I never had the drive to learn until last July. BTW, the ladies here are wonderful and some of them are great at other things besides quilting too. One of the posters here has been a great help for me with my knitting.

Scrappy quilts are my favorites by far. Patterns with a curve or those that are round seem to intrigue me the most. Of course they would. For whatever reason I am always drawn to the more challenging designs. I can't seem to want to do the less stressful things in life.

I have again started to do quilt related things. Presently, I am making 25 large scrappy flower and basket blocks for one of the ladies that post right here on our board. I'll let her name herself if she wishes to. I am also hand quilting a top for an elderly lady (in her 80's) that was made about 30 years ago by her then 90 year old mother. I also am hand quilting a grandmother's flower garden quilt, which I made. Then there is my husband's DJ. It is pin basted and waiting its' turn at the hoop. I hope to get these all done this year, but if I don't I have given myself permission not to sweat it. There is always next year.

This is a good thread. Thanks for starting it.

Sandra from SC May 25, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home