WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When did I learn to quilt?

I was 48or 49 when I was drawn, very reluctantly, into quilting. When I was a kid my mother and my grandmothers all sewed and knitted, etc. My sister started too, but I refused. I did a terrible job with the 6 months of sewing required in Grade 9 and swore never, never again. Then as a young married woman with no money, I found out that I could make little dresses and pyjamas as Christmas gifts for next to nothing (those were the days!). When I had my own kids, I made a lot of their clothes when they were small. I can't say I enjoyed the process (my youngest daughter says she always associated Mommy sewing with Mommy swearing at the sewing machine!), although I did love the feeling of accomplishment when something was finished. I hadn't used my machine in years until a new friend bugged me and bugged me to make a quilt. I got hooked quickly and found it so relaxing and creative. My youngest daughter was amazed at my newfound calm and patience. I made a junior bridesmaid's dress for DGD about 6 years ago and have taken a vow that NEVER will I sew clothing again. It's quilts for me now.
Brenda in Nn Ontario

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home