WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When did I begin to quilt?

Like so many here I began with sewing my own clothes. For me it was 4-H, my Mom was the leader. I fought tooth & nail with her to skip the "apron" & move on too something useful, so I
made pants first.
Quilting skipped a generation & my interest in quilting grew from making "one of a kind clothes",often with embroidery or patches. I always loved the quilting done by my 2 great aunts who were Mennonite quilters, always quilting for charity, never themselves. We have only one family quilt, done by my great grandmother when she was in her 90's.
I took my 1st quilting class at Daisy Kingdom here in Portland after seeing the bicentennial quilts that were touring & made a stop at a local mall. I'll never forget how inspirational they were, I was awestruck! I have been quilting soooooo long I should have a zillion quilts on my bed, but the truth is I'm not as disciplined as I should be & do more dreaming than actual quilting! But I still treasure the friendships I have formed through quilting & I don't think there is anything to compare to our quilting community, quilters are just the best!
Jill
PS: But I do have a zillion yards of fabric!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home