WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, February 2, 2007

Getting to the BB

Like many of you, I don't know what I did to get into the BB. I kept creating blogs with my name then finally I realized I needed to make a Blog for the WWQP Bulletin Board. That is finally how I got in. Now to post something.

I can't remember when I was last on the old board but am sure much has happened since then. Thanks to Judy of Ohio who would send me the postings, I was able to keep up a bit.
I have seen some of you at quilt shows this past year but I havn't been to very many as Cindy (daughter of The Stencil Co) was doing the shows with her daughter who was between schools for the past two years. But she has gone back to school this year (U of Pa at Indiana) so I may be out there a bit more.

Now to bring up to date. Forgive me if I repeat. I moved from WV to Sturbridge Ma 2 1/2 yrs ago. Love it. Especially having almost the entire basement area for work space. Then 2 yrs ago I was out walking in the woods and slipped and broke my right ankle. During that time I was able to get to the stacks of fabric I had been saving for crib quilts and such. I made 28 in 3 weeks time. Simple but with unusual fabrics. Then I couldn't give them away so instead I have been donating to organizations having auctions for their charities. During this time I was also teaching 8 times a year for the Original Sewing and Quilting Expos, so after I was able to be more mobile I spent time making kits for those classes. Two years ago, it rained a very unusual amount up here so the basement flooded and all that fabric, books, magazines etc got wet. A lot was salvaged but some was not. This made me more anxious to get rid of stuff and am still doing it. The fabric could be washed but books and magazines couldn't. Fortunately the older quilting and needlework books (not replacable) was up on shelves.
I didn't stop making small quilts tho and the stack is getting higher and higher. I have also started teaching at a local shop (Charlton Sewing Center) in Charlton Ma. I will not be teaching for the Expo this year so that frees up more time.
I have become convinced that the more you do the more you learn, mostly from ripping out and anlayzing what went wrong.
I was to teach a class in rail fence using flannel but the class was cancelled so I've been using up the excess fabric. I've developed a program that I call "No Stash Left Behind". Judy in Ohio, this is somewhat like the "Cant Stop The Quilt" design but an extention to keep using what fabric is left. The theory is that one keeps making little quilts/projects until there is literally no fabric for useful purpose left. Well perhaps the birds can use it for making nests. An example of this was using up some Christmas print where I made the first two quilts, then a set of crazy patch blocks for another quilt, then an 18" crazy patch and bordered it for a small wallhanging. For the flannel class, I made one 36"x46" quilt for the sample. I made a set of 20 blocks by cutting the exact size of strips and then discovered that none were square so I put them aside and sewed strips and then cut the blocks. I then took the incorrect blocks, squared them up and put boarders around. Another quilt was made by putting sashing and borders then the last has been to use all the left over strips to make crazy patch blocks into a small quilt. - thus the name "No Stash Left Behind". At this point I don't feel guilty in tossing what is left in the trash.

Guess this is all for now. When I figure out how to post pictures I will do so. As I read this over I get almost as confused as I was getting into this WWQP blog, but am going to send it anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home