WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, January 8, 2007

In the interest of moving spam

Posted for: Marge in Louisiana

My first quilt was a four patch with alternate white squares all 5.5 inches square( give or take a little) My Gram, my mom and I all sewed garments so there were a lot of scraps the summer between junior and senior year high school
from pajamas, shirts, skirts and blouses we made for ourselves and my younger brother and sister.

I cut the scraps into squares an sewed them together by machine or hand depending where I was at the time. Mostly by hand as that was the "correct way" to make a quilt in those days. (50's)

I had classmates write their name on the white squares and even sent one to my German penpal and she embroidered her initials on it. My grandpa was a commercial artist so he drew the design for the white squares. Gram quilted it for me adding a scalloped border and a light green backing. She quilted 1/4 inch inside and outside all those squares. It roughly fits a short double bed.

I still have it and it is still in one piece since she quilted it so thoroughly. A lot of the seams are pulling apart but the whole thing stays together due to her fine quilting.

One of the local high schools put on the play "The Quilt" last year and our guild donated quilts to hang on the stage and as an exhibit in the foyer. When I went back to look at the exhibit after the stage was set up, I could not find my quilt. After much searching it was center stage on the set.! I had not recognized it from a distance as I had only ever seen it on the bed.

The next quilt I made was in a class and it is loud with rust colored poly/cotton,green, and gold. The instructor gave me some stripe with rust, cream and pink in it to soften it a bit and tone it down. It is too wild to sleep under although it is warm. It took me 8 years to quilt it as I really didn't and still don't like it. This was in the early 80's so think harvest gold or Federal gold that was popular at the time. At least the green is hunter and not avocado.VBG

Hugs to all especially those going through trying times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home