WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, January 7, 2007

My First Quilt

Posted for: Raeann

In 1958 we bought our first home and I wanted quilts for the twin beds in the extra bedroom. I could remember seeing quilts that were appliqued and finished with black blanket stitches.

Not knowing any better I purchased 2 really cheap bleached muslin sheets. Herrschners needlework magazine had appliques already stamped on the fabric, all you had to do was cut them out. I didn't order the background fabric, I was going to be a smart young housewife and save money. I'd do my own backgrounds. LOL. Got out the yardstick and heavy pencil, drew squares?? on the sheet and off I went. Appliqued red tulips with green leaves and blanket stitched in black all around them. 6 blocks per quilt.

After they were stitched I didn't know what to do to finish them so they went in the cedar chest and I purchased 2 white chennile bedspreads. LOL

In early 1990s I thought it was time to finish my little quilts. By this time I had been quilting since the late 70s. I had a devil of a time squaring up the blocks but ended up with 12 blocks which I set using the Garden Maze pattern. The rest of the sheets came in handy for setting squares. It is quite beautiful, heavily quilted and it is the quilt I use as a Christmas quilt.

Raeann in MO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home