WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Y2K revisited

I did not have a personal computer when the Y2K swaps were going on, so I missed out. Every now and again I see a picture or reference to those wonderful projects and I get all regretful. So now (thanks, Judy!) I have allowed myself to move this to the next step. I have searched EBay for any Y2K blocks (with no luck) and have posted on the About.com Forum.  Now I am here again.

What I am going to do is ask people if they have any full or partial sets of Y2K swap blocks (those sets of 25 2 1/2" squares) that they are never going to use. I will not swap more 2 1/2" squares for them but will entertain any other suggestions. I will give this a reasonable length of time -- while I try to finish a few other projects -- and then I will assemble whatever I have collected at that time. My goal would be to get something close to the 2000 squares, the numbers to be completed from my own stash.

Does this sound remotely possible? Have I over estimated the number of people who would be happy to send that package of guilt-inducing little squares to a new home? LOL

Jean at Mill Bay

7 Comments:

  • At January 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    You are welcome to whatever squares I have leftover when I complete this replica. Many 2.5 and 3 inch squares. Or maybe it's 3.5. I'm too lazy to get up and measure.

    My email addy is judystill and I am at that hotmail place. (Trying to avoid trolls by typing it out). Just send me an email with your mailing address and I'll get them off to you...maybe in a month or two when I finish up. I would love to pass on this quilting burden to yet another quilt addict. roflol

     
  • At January 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

    Oh, thank you! Email is on its way!

     
  • At January 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM , Blogger blocke Oregon said...

    Jean, I didn't trade but I do have a lot of 2 1/2" squares..I cut my scraps that size. I'll bet I have a couple of pieces of millinium fabric in bins somewhere. Send me your address and I'll mail you a baggie full.

     
  • At January 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

    Betty, that is very kind. Having looked at how many squares it will take to make a king sized quilt, I will be grateful for any help!

    I no longer seem to have your email, to send you my address. I am using my hotmail account for this project. It is galoots6athotmaildotcom If you send me a note there themn I will have your address to send my address... LOL

    Jean, still at Mill Bay

     
  • At January 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

    Jean, are you wanting to collect from every state in America or are you not fussy where the squares come from ?! I LOVE the quilt I made, with squares from all over the world, and would be happy to send you a set from here. It's such fun when the packets arrive. Hard to believe that it all happened so long ago, seems like yesterday to me !

     
  • At January 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

    Marion, I am not a purist! I am also not American -- I am in Canada. I don't have the time or energy to try for the "every province and state" collection, but I would love to get a really representative collection from as many different places as possible, and with a lot of the older fabrics and maybe even some 'siggies' to put on the back. I was hoping that people would have leftovers or sets they have decided they will never use, who would lilke to see them put in a quilt. I will happily pay for postage and will contribute almost anything else by way of thank you, but will not be getting into a round of swaps of more squares.

    So the short answer is "Yes!" I would love some squares from your corner of the world. :)

     
  • At January 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

    Consider them on their way ! Always a pleasure to encourage a fellow quilter ! Email me your home address at prhmghatscorchdotcodotnz....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home