WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Megan's Wonky Star Gets To Make a TV Appearance







Some of my friends on the About quilting forum had encouraged me to submit a photo of my "Megan's Wonky Star" wallhanging that I sent to a "quilt challenge" in Australia to the CBS Sunday Morning television show to use in their broadcasts.  Here's why they suggested it:

****************************************
"Judy, I think you'd really enjoy Sunday Morning.  They only do a "hard news" segment right at the beginning, but the rest of the show is personal interest-type information.  They do a lot of art, music, cultural things (remember Charles Kuralt's "On the Road"?).  Between segments there is always a sun done in any kind of medium you could think of--even Legos!  They're all a take off on the CBS Sun logo, and some are absolutely stunning!  The quilted one we're talking about is very similar to yours but doesn't have the face.  Yours would fit their format very nicely.  Go for it!"
****************************

So, based on the several forum quilters who egged me on, I sent CBS a photo of my quilt months ago.  Yesterday, I finally got a reply! 

*************************************
"Hi, Ms. Knox…

Way back at the end of April, you sent me a lovely note which included your “Wonky Star” (aka “Wonky Sun”) artwork.  It is absolutely delightful, and one that I would love to use on our Sunday Morning broadcast.

Please excuse my delay in responding to your submission.  As you can imagine, my CBS mailbox is filled daily with suns that are mailed in by our viewers.   The good news is that I do eventually get through those stacks and find treasures like the one that you have sent me!

I am just wondering if you would be able to send me a jpg of your sun, so that our graphic artist can capture a clear image of it.  The image on your note isn’t quite clear enough to use on air.

Again, please accept my apologies for taking so long (!) to respond to your submission.

Jessica Frank
Associate Director/Sun Coordinator
CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood
**********************************

Fun, huh???    Megan has her wall hanging in her sewing room at her condo now, so she's promised to send me a better, high resolution photo of it today so I can forward it on to Jessica.  I'll have to remember to turn the TV on on Sunday mornings and get in the habit of watching this show; based on what my quilter friends say, it might be interesting viewing.  But what a hoot, to have my small quilt that traveled all the way to Australia for an international competition now have a chance to be on national TV, even if only for a few seconds. 



Judy in Ohio



7 Comments:

  • At October 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    How lovely! You do the "fun" types of quilting that I like. Hope the Sunday morning people like it as much as I do.
    Sara in Florida

     
  • At October 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous Bunny said...

    Judy, how wonderful! My favorite; the best of all TV! Congratulations! Bunny

     
  • At October 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    This quilt was for a contest in Bunbury, Western Australia, where I had to use a certain amount of their theme fabric. I do not know why I thought of a "star" kind of design with the fabric as three of the "rays" but it just tickled my fancy. My daughter helped with the design of the central circle area which is why I named the wallhanging in her honor.
    Judy

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    How exciting, Judy!!! If you know which 'episode' of CBS Sunday Morning it will be on, please do let us know. I record it every week, but sometimes don't have time to watch and erase. I'll definitely want to see your quilt on TV.

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Wonderful, Judy! Quite an exciting story to attach to that quilt!

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Doris, I don't know if anyone will tell me about a broadcast date. I submitted my photo in April and it took them until October to tell me that they wanted to use my photo so I am not holding my breath on this. :-)

     
  • At October 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Anita said...

    WOW,I'm impressed. I answered your question under comments on my posting.

    Anita

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home