WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Remember the Y2K Quilt Craze?

Once upon a time, at the height of my quilting addiction, members of the WWQP were swapping "squishies" and "siggies".  The squishies were packets of 25 different fabric charms, each 2.5 inches square.  The siggies were signed signature squares.  What a fun thing it was to reach into the mail box and receive more squishies!

Our goal (challenge) was to make a 2000 piece Y2K charm quilt.  Signature squares were included either on the front or the back of the quilt. Design was of our choice. (If you google "y2k quilt" under "images" you will find many examples.)

My Y2KQ was finished in the Year 2000 and was accepted into an exhibit at the Houston quilt festival (2001??).  It was a huge queen size quilt.

Four years ago I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  My quilting libido waned. But last fall I decided to duplicate my Y2KQ with one of smaller size.  This time, each square will be 1 inch finished (using a 1/8 inch seam) and the finished quilt will be small enough to hang on the wall as an art quilt.

It's not done but I can't wait any longer to show you.  So far I have completed 1400 squares.  Only 600 more to go.

The assembly is done in blocks of 25 squares (5x5).  I've photographed the original and have it on my computer screen where I can view each square as I select the fabrics.  I lay them out a square at a time, stitch, then assemble by rows.  My vintage Singer 15-91, which is a super-duper gear-driven machine from the 1940s, is doing the stitching. 

So what do you think? Am I crazy or what!!!! LOL

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At January 4, 2013 at 4:56 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    Can't comment on the craziness, but I love the idea. Looking forward to the finished work.

     
  • At January 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

    Crazy in a good way! I was always sorry I missed the Y2K swaps -- such fun projects!

    Hey, maybe someday I will find a complete set unsewn...
    Jean, still at Mill Bay

     
  • At January 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

    I do remember that. I had a quilt in the exhibit at Houston, too. Did you get to go to the show? I wasn't able to, but did enjoy all the pictures that came out of it. The one I sent had all 50 states and all of the Canadian provinces, plus I can't remember how many other countries.

    I traded enough to make three quilts, as Idaho was apparently a difficult state to come by. My second one used 3500 squares in the split nine patch blocks. The ones I ended up not using went to a friend who did a lot of paper piecing.

    Kathi

     
  • At January 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Judy, keep up the good work!!! I'm cheering you on from Ohio.

    Jean, I found a set on eBay in 2004, so you might want to try that route. I was like a kid opening a Christmas gift when that box arrived. :-)

    Judy in Ohio

     
  • At January 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    I still have a Millenium quilt pattern and never did attempt to collect fabric or make it. How time flies...

     
  • At January 9, 2013 at 4:57 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At January 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

    There are still a lot of sites out there that have Y2K quilts on them. Just Google it, and you'll find all sorts of them. The group of quilts that went to the display at Houston is still listed. I think it must be a different one than yours was on, though, Judy. I think it was through about.com. Rachael Ivey was the moderator of the group.

     
  • At January 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    What type of machine are you using? Is this an old Singer?
    Sara in Fla.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home