WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Singer 404

Posted on the chat board, but it was suggested I post it here as well. Here goes.  Question for you knowledgable (sp) collectors: I got a Singer 404 at a yard sale, not realizing it was strictly straight stitch, but that's okay. But with it I was given "attachments" which turned out to be a buttonholer for the 301 and an automatic zigzagger for the 301, plus a box of "zigzag and stretch accessories" for Singer model 417. Unless I am missing something (probably my brain LOL), if the 404 only straight stitches how on earth could any of these be its attachments (unless it is something for straight stitch and happens to fit the foot) The 404 is also a slant needle but I haven't tried putting any of this stuff on it. Been busy trying to find a spool pin of all things, looks like I will have to find an OSMG someplace out here. Any and all comments welcome. (I will probably try to resell it all somehow after I find a spool pin; other than that it runs very smoothly and just needs a little cleaning up.) Lavinia/AZ

6 Comments:

  • At October 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Someone was clearing out a bunch of odds and ends and just dumped them all together in a box. You were given this box of attachments that do not belong with the Singer 404.

    There is nothing wrong with your brain. :-) If it was me, I would donate that box of odds and ends to Goodwill just to get it out of my house.

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    The attachments might possibly work, and they might not. There is a Yahoo Group for Vintage Singers that can tell you.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagesingers/
    One has to join first, but they are a wonderful group of people, all very knowledgeable, and a lot of retired Singer techs.


    What I can tell you is that on any straight-stitch machine, the zigzag and buttonhole works by the attachment clamping the fabric, and it moves the fabric because the needle does not zig nor zag. This is how they work on the Featherweight machines.
    :-)

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    Good suggestion from Judy in Ohio, to give to GoodWill if they are not compatible with your 404.

    GoodWill has an online auction site that runs a lot like eBay:
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/
    I have bought old attachments for my Singer 201 from that site.

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    A Singer 404 is a slant needle sewing machine.

    It needs slant needle attachments.

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Thanks everybody!

     
  • At October 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    The Singer 301 is a slant needle (I own one), so I think it is worth a try to see if those attachments will fit your 404.
    Just attach them, and instead of hitting the gas pedal, turn the hand wheel slowly, round and round, to see how things go.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home