WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, May 17, 2010

Trying to Upload Photos of "Perfect Nap Quilt"













This quilt top was up for auction on eBay and it caught my eye because of the bright yellow squares instead of the "normal" muslin squares between the colorful 1940s fabrics. Once I had the quilt top in hand I realized that the maker had used two different yellow pieces of fabric for her yellow squares because the colors were not the same shade of yellow. Plus many of her "squares" were not truly square when she got done sewing with them.

Thus I did not fuss too much over my machine quilting on this quilt. Since I was using wool batting I had to quilt closely, no more than three inches apart. The squares measured an average of 1.75 inches and so I decided to merely echo quilt inside each yellow square. Since there were over 2400 of them there were times when my stitching got a bit wonky or lopsided from fatigue. I told myself I was adding to the charm of this less than perfectly organized quilt. By today's standards of quilt judging it is not a prize winner.

It is a true utility quilt .... a cozy, warm, comfy quilt that my cat and I love to take naps with ... and since it is a dreary, rainy Ohio afternoon and since my knees still ache from the yard work I did yesterday planting my impatiens I think I need a nap right now. :-)

5 Comments:

  • At May 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    Judy - I love that quilt! That was a very good eBay purchase. :o)

     
  • At May 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Thank you, Doris. It took a lot of looking before I found that one. :-)

     
  • At May 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Judy, you did a Yummy Job! I dare say I'm not certain I would have tackled so many squares!!!

     
  • At May 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    Imperfect as you claim the quilt to be, it looks lovely and well worth taking naps under. LONNA IN WI

     
  • At May 22, 2010 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Judy, I loved your story about the less than perfect quilt top. I have a couple of those that I bought and then realized they were WAY less than perfect and never bothered to quilt them. Maybe you have motivated me to take a second look. I am a quilter from Ohio as well. I am recently out of work with an injury and chronic pain and i am looking for ways to keep from being bored or lazy. Thanks for sharing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home