WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sewing Machine

A few years ago a friend of mine recommended the Janome machine to me but I bought a Bernina because the dealer was local. I wish I'd listened to her. I just bought a Janome so I could have a machine downstairs instead of lugging my heavy machine up and down stairs.
It's called a Decor Computer DC3816. I love the drop in bobbin and being able to see how the thread is lasting. It has the cute button hole stitch for applique and every other fancy stitch I've ever used. It has superior feet that move the fabric more evenly under the needle so there's no need of a walking foot and the bottom fabic doesn't wiggle out of shape - I just can't say enough nice things about it. I just finished sewing a lot of nine patch blocks together and they all came out nice and square - not used to that!
I can't believe I spent $299 as compared to $1200!!!!!
If I shouldn't be putting this on the board you may strike me with a wet noodle. I just want anyone who is about to buy a sewing machine to check out Janome.

5 Comments:

  • At March 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Milli, over on the About.com quilting forum everyone who owns a Janome has nothing but positive comments about their machines be they the lower priced models or the top-of-the-line versions. You will find your new machine will give you years of trouble-free pleasure. Now you have to pick out a friendly name for it .. you should pick out a name for your downstairs machine and a name for your upstairs machine, too. :-)

     
  • At March 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    I love my Janome also. In 1997 when I first really got into quilting Bernia was the "IN" thing. My local quilt store was selling them, so I bought a used one for $3,000 and have no end of trouble. Back in April 2008 I bought the $1,000 Janome that does just about everything, and has the drop in bobbin also. It is a blessing to have a machine that works, instead of sits in the repair shop all the time. I have a smaller Janome Gold for classes that is a
    great machine also. The Bernina evidently was just a lemon. Can't even give it away.
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At March 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    I also love my Janome. It's a non-computerized model, bought in about 1997, and it has many many miles on it now but hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. The tension has never gone out of whack and it's been used on everything from home dec to quilting. Hope you get as much out of yours!

     
  • At March 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Marge said...

    I have three Janome machines. They have never giving me an ounce of trouble. Two are embroidery machines. One being 10 yrs old an the second one being 2 yrs old. Then I have a small one to take to class. I had two friends with Bernia's and they were always in the shop. Marge

     
  • At March 12, 2009 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

    I haven't ever used a Janome, but I have a Bernina that I bought brand new in 1964. It went to the shop one time to have the motor rewound, as I finally wore it out in about 2002. I used it for sewing clothing way before I ever started quilting. Of course this machine is NOT computerized and is the old-style Bernina with all metal parts. Heavier than all get out. I've had nationally known quilt teachers tell me that it's a great machine and to never get rid of it. Just a zig-zag, front and back, but it has a walking foot and hopping foot and has done everything I've ever asked it to do, from machine applique to quilting to accurate piecing, as well as sewing very heavy fabrics at DH's request. It even has a way to set up the bobbin so that the thread is pulled toward the bottom for buttonholes and applique.

    It's never had a name, though, so I guess I should think of one.

    Kathi

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home