WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Milli's Comment ...

In Milli's most recent posting she wrote " I found the directions after page five very confusing. May be it's me. In any case, I can figure it out."

Sometimes, Milli, I wish there was an editorial committee available to women who want to self-publish what I call pegboard patterns, those patterns you see in plastic baggies on pegboards in quilt shops. Some of the pegboard patterns are put out by the biggie companies and have been "tested" but many are published by individuals who do not have proofreaders or "testers" (other than their sister or cousin or best friend) and so their instructions are less than wonderful.

Just because a person is a clever designer does not mean that the person can write instructions in a clear manner. Beware the pattern with poorly drawn illustrations. Or tiny print crammed on too few pages (in an effort to save printing costs). Sadly, I have bought examples of those by buying patterns online instead of in real quilt shops.

Judy in Ohio

3 Comments:

  • At March 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    I know what you mean. I have been doing a mystery quilt in our guild. The steps are presented each month in the newsletter. Boy, have the instructions been crazy, not to mention wrong! I thought it would be a good one because this gal's daughter publishes patterns, but not so.
    I always wondered how they would write the instructions for the 2 for one, it's not easy to understand without hands on. I have to look at my pattern (although it's not quite the same as Milli's).
    Just because people can quilt doesn't mean they can teach or write :) Jill

     
  • At March 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    I once made a purse from one of those patterns and the directions were just horrible. I emailed the author with a question and mentioned that I thought the instructions were hard to follow. She said "Oh, you made THAT one? Yes, that one is very difficult to follow, I'm surprised you even tried it." Left me scratching my head!

     
  • At March 12, 2009 at 7:09 AM , Blogger judithwitkinquilts said...

    I'd like to connect with Judy Witkin in Ohio??? My name is Judy Witkin and I live in Washington DC. I am also a quilter.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home