WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Re: Help!

Thanks to Judy, Judy, and Jane for your advice (Jane - yours was the most tempting!). I ended up removing all the setting triangles and starting over with a different fabric, cutting the triangles just a little larger. Everything fits perfectly now. As I was ripping out the old fabric, I got to thinking that there might have been a little polyester in it - it just didn't have the same feel as the cotton, but the color was perfect so I went ahead and used it. It is now in my trash can. I had to switch machines mid-quilt also, because my trusty Janome (which I just bragged about to someone here on the board) decided to start breaking the thread after sewing for about 3". My seam allowances looked to be the same though, thanks to my cute little Featherweight standby. This board has always been my backup when I run into trouble and I've learned so much over the years. Thanks again! NancyH

3 Comments:

  • At March 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    I was told by a teacher that a project should be sewn on the machine you started to use since there could be a difference in the foot feet guide. Same goes for rulers, not all of them measures the same. LONNA IN WI

     
  • At March 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    re: breaking thread causes: needle in backwards, or spool in the wrong direction and thread is catching on the notch where you hook it to store it, perhaps. Let us know. Also sometimes I used a thread that got a little "knot" in it and it stuck at the needle, too. Good luck.

     
  • At March 27, 2009 at 8:31 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Another cause of thread problems is an old, dull needle. You can tell if a needle has a snag on it (from hitting something solid) by pulling it BACKwards across your lower lip. The lip is super sensitive and you will notice if the tip is smooth or has a burr/snag. If it is dull or snaggy, discard. Being frugal with needles is a waste of your time.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home