WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Janome

I was looking at the comments on machines posted over the last few days/week. I have had a top of the line Pfaff with the embroidery unit for about 10 years. I also have a Janome Gem that I take to classes and that I love. By the end of the morning I think I will also have a Janome 4900. I am so tired of taking my Pfaff in to have the tension adjusted, or trying to pick threads out of the various moving parts whenever I try to use "fun" threads. I just had it in AGAIN, picked it up at the end of last week because I was taking a thread class on Sunday afternoon. I think I sewed about 10 inches of a satin stitch before the bobbin thread started to come to the top and the top thread went to the bottom - looks "interesting" but certainly not what I had in mind. When I tried a straight stitch it was like a basting stitch.... The Pfaff was expensive and a gift from DH (which is a long story....) so I have hesitated to look at another machine or to even mention in his earshot that I don't like the Pfaff. But when I got home from the class I got online and started looked at the various Janomes. I have not sewn on a 4900 but I do think that it will be the best choice for me - I like to play with decorative stitches, plus it is quilter friendly and there is a dealer in town. Anyone have a 4900?

Better get movin' - we are going to CA today. We decided it would be fun to take our exchange student to a big city and she and DD picked LA - we're going to hit the fabric district, Universal studios, Venice Beach, etc. Should be fun. Joleen in MN

3 Comments:

  • At March 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good for you! A friend recommended it to me years ago and I didn't listen. To top it off, when you go to buy anything, it's not as expensive as the other brand (which I will not mention). When I bought mine, they told me they never got them back for repair (like another brand which I will not mention). I wouldn't be surprised if I bought an upgrade one someday if I can sell the unmentionable machine I have!!!

     
  • At March 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Pfaff. I could tell you a long story about my experience with that one!

     
  • At March 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    I am on my second small Janome and loving them both. I don't do fancy sewing so prefer small, inexpensive machines as I'd get too nervous if I spent too much on something. The Janomes are wonderful. Much more even in stitch length, sturdy enough for thicker seams, just in general great. My only very minor complaint is getting to the areas to oil can be challenging but that is a minor whimper. :-) The machines are great.
    Mary in Oregon

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home