WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Winter Project to Keep Me Busy .... or Drive Me Crazy

Long time BBer JudyPete, now posting as WhiteStone posts "I hope all of you have some winter quilt project to keep you busy."

Yes, Ma'am, that I do. Last year I bought a book called "Quilts From the Selvage Edge" by Karen Griska and the book is all about making quilts from selvage strips, those pieces of fabric that you normally cut off and throw away. Notice the use of the word "normal".

Yes, it is abnormal to think of making a quilt from those very narrow strips of fabric, so I am not making a quilt, I am currently working on making a large tote bag, thankyouverymuch. :-) I doubt if I will ever make a quilt. Maybe a vest front will be my next project. Or maybe some pillow tops. Or perhaps a small tote bag. Definitely never a quilt. No way .......

I have collected hundreds, perhaps thousands of selvage strips from quilters near and far, from my quiltmaking daughter to quilters in Iowa and California and quilters from other places in Ohio and believe it or not there is great and fascinating variety to be found in selvages. If you Google the author's name and book title you will be sent to her website and you can see for yourself the type of fabric you can create from these strips of fabric. Then you might be tempted to make yourself a small thing like a pillow-top out of your own selvages someday .... after all, every one of us has cut off selvages at one time or another and carelessly tossed them in the wastebasket. ;-)

P.S. Here's the link for the author's site: http://www.selvagequilts.com/

If you go there, be sure and click on her blog link and then scroll down a bit ... on the right you will see a woman in a dress, a dress made of selvage strips. Click on that photo and you'll be taken to the blog of an Australian woman named Jodie who obviously has too much time on her hands if she can make a dress out of selvage strips!

1 Comments:

  • At January 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    I think it would take a "Long Winter's Night" to finish a quilt with selvedge pieces! I'm a scrappy quilter, but I dunno about ever trying this idea! But I do await the results of your endeavor!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home