WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

washing & prewashing

DUTCHROSE - I stopped pre-washing fabrics after taking a Harriet Hargrave workshop. I am pretty sure I've developed my respiratory sensitivities to chemicals due to ironing all those unwashed fabrics over the following fifteen years. Quilting requires lots of pressing, as we all know.

I now pre-wash ALL quilting fabrics. If I don't, I can now smell the chemicals outgassing when the hot iron touches the fabric.

I also had the same problem once, with washing a quilt and letting it air dry even though I had previously dried it in the dryer. The dark red "bled" onto the muslin. Never again! All quilts go directly into the dryer.

Doris W.

1 Comments:

  • At June 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Doris, as people get older they do develop sensitivities, that is a fact. My husband developed an allergy to monosodium glutamate (MSG) when he was about 56 or 57 years old ... it took us a couple of years to figure out exactly what was happening so we cannot pinpoint exactly when it happened.

    My point is that we are all capable of becoming allergic to one thing or another as we collect birthdays and long-term exposure to various things in our environment that weren't there in our grandparents' day. :-)

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home