WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Shirt Quilts



Hi, Laura, Welcome to the "Shirt Quilts" section of the quilting community. LOL. You asked about mixing shirt fabrics with fabrics from your stash. Here are my thoughts...

1) In my own experience, when considering shirts, I select only those made of 100 percent cotton and preferably from a nice grade of cotton, fabrics with a good (high) thread count. Some cotton shirts are made with rather flimsy thread count and the fabric is thin, especially those of lighter colors.

2) I never use poly/cotton blends. I find that poly/cottons get flimsier with each washing. They get limp with time. If you love a good quality cotton fabric, you will not like the poly/cottons. Unless, of course, the shirts hold sentimental value for you. In that case, disregard this statement. LOL.

3) Yes, by all means, feel free to mix your shirt cottons with fabrics from your quilt store. In the two photos above, one quilt is made entirely with shirt fabs. The quilt in the first photo is a mixture. Both have held up well to repeated washes and slight drying in the dryer.

I'm getting so bad about my addiction to shirt fabrics that I browse the men's shirt section in better department stores, pre-viewing next year's yard sale shirts. LOL.

Make up a few blocks and send us a pic here on the BB!

JudyPete

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At April 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Linda in AZ said...

    Beautiful! You are inspiring me.

    I am going to have my granddaughters (10 & 12 years) stay with me for 3 weeks this summer and I want to teach them to sew. I was looking for a quilt pattern and I thought I might copy your half square triangle quilt. Would you mind sharing the size of the small and large half square triangles you cut for your quilt?

    Thanks a bunch,
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home