WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, November 24, 2007

My hands are cold

This time of year in the upper midwest (of the USA), the days get colder. Even with the thermostat set to a comfortable temp daytimes, my hands tend to get cold. And once my fingers get cold, I have a difficult time getting them warm again. Even hot dishwater does not always help. Rice bags to the rescue. I dug out the rice bag I made several years ago and heated it in the microwave. Then I snuggled under a quilt on the sofa and wrapped the bag around my right hand. Not only did it warm my hand, it also relieved a minor arthritis discomfort in my index finger. Yesterday I stopped at the store and bought a large bag of long-grain white rice. I'm too busy today, but within the next couple days I will cut up some flannel and make a couple more bags. I like to make a matching "pillowcase" which I can slip off the bag and wash if necessary for you do not want to wash the rice bag itself. If you need a pattern, you can google rice bag pattern. Here's the link to one pattern site and you can easily find others. These make great Christmas gifts, too.
JudyPete
http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ef_ricebags.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home