WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, October 25, 2007

I snorted when I recently saw ....


I'm all for recycling. I've been doing it since I was a young mother and used worn-out drapes to line comforters. That was in my pre-quilting days. I'm still recycling. I recycle a lot of things, putting them to good new-use.
But when I recently read an article in the WSJ about the new, in-style re-cycled clothing I snorted in my coffee-cup and choked on my bagel. Heading the article was a full-length gown that must have used 25 pair of blue-jeans in its design. Waistbands, pockets, and all. Stitched in a helter-skelter layer one over another in order to provide enough Yardage for this full-length full-skirted gown. I commented to myself (after I cleaned up my spilled coffee) that this dress must weigh a ton. Anyone who has made a jeans quilt knows that denim is heavy. Very heavy. Too heavy for a shoulderless gown. I wondered which idiot of wealthy means would wear such a thing in true seriousness. (I can hear the snorkles of laughter in the prim crowd surrounding her.) Green is green. But blue jeans do not an evening gown make.

And having said all that .... here's a pic of my most recent recycle experience. My sewing room has windows that overlook the street and which face houses across the street. I am in this room many hours of any particular day/nite for my computer resides therein along with three sewing machines. I like a little privacy but want to open the blinds to let in sun. My solution was to make short curtains for the bottom of the window. Sure, I could have purchased a pair at a very reasonable price at the local mall. But while shopping recently I found a cotton eyelet skirt (teen style) on sale at 85 percent off and I couldn't resist buying this "fabric" and assembling these curtains. When I told the clerk I was going to make curtains out of this pretty white skirt she gave me a very odd look. Her disdain did not deter me from my goal, however, and I love my new curtains.

And while this topic is unquilty, I'll add that I'll soon have a Project Linus baby quilt top to post. Keep tuned.


JudyPete

4 Comments:

  • At October 25, 2007 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    A long dress out the denim - NOT! But your window coverings are absolutely beautiful and I wonder what the young sales clerk would say now. Quilts out of men's shirts and curtains from skirts - you are full of wonderful ideas and are very kind to our earth also.
    Phyllis in Minnesota

     
  • At October 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    Those curtains look very pretty and can see no reason why the material couldn't be used for that purpose.
    I agree with you about the wedding dress idea using the blue jeans. I do like the skirts made from an old pair of jeans. I always wanted to make one but never got around to do it. LONNA IN WI

     
  • At October 25, 2007 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Bunny in IL said...

    Judy, my sewing room - er, 'studio' - valance is made out of an expensive shower curtain in a blue jean motif. Hard to picture and, if I get DH to photograph, I'll show you. About $75 as a shower curtain; about $8 (in the sale bin) for a cute valance. I have made 4 denim quilts - each no larger than 60"x60" and, as you all mention, they are very, very heavy. Your curtains are beautiful! Bunny

     
  • At October 25, 2007 at 6:44 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Bunny, great use of the sale bin!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home