WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, July 19, 2007

help with batting

I am just beginning to learn MQing. I recently took a class on how to MQ feathers. I used a very, very small stipple around them, thinking it would help the feathers stand out. Well, they did until the first time I washed it. I had preshrunk the fabric but not the batting. The whole thing seem to shrivel up. I like a little crinkling but this was horrible. Hey, sometimes you learn the hard way, and I learned very quickly about QTD too! My question is - how do I preshrink the batting? I use mostly Warm and Natural. Can I use the washer and dryer? If so, are there any special precautions? And, how should I wash the quilt after I've HQ or MQ'ed it? My quilts are to be used but I don't want them to look like a mess the first time they're washed.

Trina in San Antonio

5 Comments:

  • At July 19, 2007 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    go ahead & wash in the washer, just don't agitate.
    Maybe you can help your piece by re-wetting it & blocking it sometimes it works because cotton can be somewhat forgiving.
    I use poly for tapunto,lots of choices for white, but the only black one that I've found needs to be doubled, I forget the name.

     
  • At July 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Trina - I've washed Warm & Natural by putting it into a pillow case and then into the washer. That way it didn't get all distorted with the agitator. Use cold water and the shortest cycle you have. Then I took it out of the pillow case and dried it in the dryer on low.

     
  • At July 19, 2007 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Bunny in IL said...

    Hi, Trina. I pre-wash all of my batting. I don't really 'wash' because you don't want to agitate, as the others mentioned. I soak in warm water for 10 - 20 minutes and then spin dry. I dry it in the dryer. I hope your quilt can be helped by re-wetting and blocking. Bunny

     
  • At July 21, 2007 at 1:14 AM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    I don't understand the comments about using cool or cold water. If the purpose is to preshrink--I always use hot water or at least as hot as I plan to wash the finished project. It is the hot water and hot dryer (not low) that does the preshrinking. I do this with warm & natural all the time.

     
  • At July 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy in AR - you're right - I meant to say hot water for washing. I guess I was thinking of pre-washing fabric, where I always use cold. I do use the low setting in the dryer - I'm afraid of that HOT setting for some reason! NancyH

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home