WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

disappearing 9 patch


I finally have the borders on my disappearing 9 patch and will attempt to post a picture after writing this. For being such an easy quilt I made every mistake possible--sewed wrong strips together, forgot to add in the sewn border measurement to the second border strips etc etc. But Nancy aptly named it the happy quilt and that's what I'm calling it. It measures approx 48 X 58, a little bigger than I like for a child's quilt, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted to start with smaller squares. The focus fabrics might have gotten lost if they were smaller. Now to decide on a backing and how to quilt it. That's for next week.

6 Comments:

  • At July 17, 2007 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Judy, that's a darling quilt for a child and thank you very much for sharing it with us. You've inspired lots of creative minds tonight! I think quilt making moms and grandmas might have fabrics in their stashes that are calling to them right now "Use me, use me ....."

    Judy

     
  • At July 18, 2007 at 7:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Judy, I love that quilt! I've been scouring my "stash" for appropriate fabrics - it's my next "project." What size blocks did you use to start with?

    Evelyn
    Cape Cod

     
  • At July 18, 2007 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    Judy, what size squares did you start with?? I think the fabrics are great and a little bit bigger one like this would be appreciated by a little bit bigger child too! I've been pawing through my stash for something to make a baby quilt with, but so far I haven't lit on anything that looks "young..." Gosh, I may have to shop for fabric, what a shame!

     
  • At July 18, 2007 at 12:42 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    I started with 4" squares. Another poster said she'd seen one with 5" squares and I knew that would be too big for little ones. The only thing I wished different was that the blue strips could have been narrower but in my mind don't think a split 9 patch would have worked the same. My "solids" were moda marbles.

    Yes, Beth shopping for fabric is always such a shame. LOL!!!! Fabrics for babies etc don't have to be children's novelties. Tiny prints like rosebuds, little stars,the smallest gingham etc also look wonderful. And one could also applique a bigger something (duck, bear, heart, star, flower, etc) over several squares of the tiny prints.

     
  • At July 18, 2007 at 8:59 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy - It really is "happy" - love the smiley suns. NancyH

     
  • At July 19, 2007 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    What a great DNP, I love it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home