WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

P.S. on the Disappearing Nine Patch Idea

On the about.com quilting forum I saw a member post this idea on making a planned quilt (as opposed to a scrappy one) using the idea of the disappearing pattern. I've copied and pasted what she is doing for a friend's wedding gift and I hope it works on this blogging format.

Judy

"I am making this pattern for my best friend's wedding. It is so much fun to work on! Another way you can lay out the 9 patches is

A B A

C D C

A B A

A's are the same, B's are the same, C's are the same and D is what you want to have the smallest. Since B and C are cut, I use my focal fabric and large scale prints for A's and I am loving the results!"

4 Comments:

  • At June 28, 2007 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    can you send us a picture in progress?
    I have one of the books on disappearing nice patch but haven't done one.
    Our guild did a swap with the idea of doing the DNP, our nine patches started out with 5" sqs.
    A QF did a controlled one using batiks & it was gorgeous.
    Oh, now I remember the book, it's called "Slice 'em and dice 'em"
    Jill

     
  • At June 29, 2007 at 6:30 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Jill, here's a photo of one that I found in someone's Webshots album. This is not my quilt but is from a group's "show and tell" event.

    Judy

    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2867203150046801698Cpahrj?vhost=home-and-garden

     
  • At June 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy - I took the Slice 'em and Dice'em class from the author of the book (whose name escapes me at the moment) in Houston last year. It was a great class with amazing possibilities. Of course I haven't made a quilt yet but.... I took your formula and drew it out on graph paper using colored pencils and just making a regular 9-patch it comes out looking like a plaid. The cool part is that I've had 4 pieces of really pretty fabric here looking for a quilt to be put into. I think they've found a home! Thanks for the inspiration...NancyH

     
  • At June 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    Nancy Brennan Daniel is the author of this book. She teaches it in Houston and her classes are always PACKED! She's a good teacher - also a quilt show judge.
    Her website is http://www.nancybrenandaniel.com/
    You can see lots of the slice em and dice em quilts on it. As well as order her book.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home