WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Elizabeth Redeye



I wanted to share with you how much I am enjoying using an old vintage Singer 66 treadle sewing machine. This machine is almost an exact duplicate of the one I learned to sew on and it was given to me by a dear quilting friend several states away. She had named the machine Elizabeth Redeye, the Elizabeth being the name of a grandmother in the family, and Redeye because this particular machine has gorgeous decals including a red elliptical that collectors of vintage Singers have likened to a "red eye". I am loving this experience...you can sew slow and very accurately on a treadle. There is one feature that I had forgotten...if you are not careful when you complete the seam, gravity may cause the wheel to reverse its direction, causing the machine to sew backwards and breaking the thread. I'll get the hang of it, though, as I go along.
JudyPete

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At June 21, 2007 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    Interestingly the finish on the cabinet appears to match that on the woodwork in your room. How fortuitous.

    I had a chance to buy a treadle machine that appeared to be in very clean condition at an antique show a few years ago for about $150. I hesitated and someone else snatched it up. Later I discovered that it was a friend who bought it. So far she hasn't done a thing with it. What a shame.

    My Mom always lamented the disappearence of treadle machines. If she'd been aware of one for sale I'm sure she would happily have traded her electric one for it. She always praised the absolute control they afford.

    Jane in NC

     
  • At May 10, 2008 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    I just got th every same redeye from a Friend Like you I'm still learning how to use it

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home