WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, April 8, 2007

One Reason to Have a Digital Camera





One reason to have a digital camera is so you can try out a quilty idea before cutting the fabric, particularly when you only have a small bit of fabric left. :-) Please notice that I've pinned a bit of black fabric on the design wall on the far right side of this quilt top. This couch quilt is based on a pattern called "Tilt-a-Square" by Bella Nonna and I have made the quilt top as directed in the pattern instructions except I have made it larger. (The original pattern called for twelve fat quarters and I used twenty resulting in a larger couch quilt.) I pinned it on my design wall to check out the finished quilt top and I decided that it didn't look right.

I think it needs another border of the black print around the outside. I have just enough fabric to cut the binding in the black print plus a new 2.5 inch wide black border. The current black border between the blocks and the crookedy piano key border is 3.5 inches. Sometimes a quilter just gets lucky.

Judy

4 Comments:

  • At April 8, 2007 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Marge in Louisiana said...

    I would like the quilt just bound in the black after the piano keys . I am not sure that a smaller border would not look strange. Somewhere in my mind I remember something about borders getting larger going out? Proportion maybe?

     
  • At April 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    The purpose of the border is to stop the eye, which the first black border does wonderfully. I have to say that another black border wouldn't add anything in my small opinion. I think it needs to be bound in a fabric of all those colors or with the pieces left from all the fat quarters sewn together. It looks pretty sharp just the way it is. Another black border is adding another element which will take your eye off the central focus.

     
  • At April 8, 2007 at 8:59 PM , Blogger quilter522 said...

    My vote is no outer black border. Such a bright, welcoming quilt that the outer "fingers" (or piano keys) almost reach out to the viewer. I like dark final borders on quilts that need to be "contained" but this one to me doesn't want to be! Wow! Harriet

     
  • At April 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy - Love the colors! I think the black binding is all you need. I seems to me that another border would be overkill with the black. But the inside black border really sets it all off. NancyH

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home