WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, March 5, 2007

Those KQ Challenge Fish Are "Swimming"




Last month I posted a photo about a "challenge" wallhanging I was working on after I had chosen a theme of "Kids Just Don't Know How to Dress Properly These Days". The "challenge" is offered by Keepsake Quilting, a well-known quilt shop in New Hampshire that sells a kit of six fabrics .... the quilter must use four of their fabrics and may add two others plus may add any embellishments (like beads). This particular challenge does not allow any applique which is why I decided to enter.

Now that you know that I did not choose most of the fabrics in this wallhanging perhaps you will understand why it is such an odd looking thing. :-) I still need to sew on the fish beads (and hanging sleeve on the back) before this project is done but I wanted you to see how the wavy quilting is making the fish pop up and look almost trapunto-ish. This is not something I would recommend doing on a bed quilt but for a wallhanging with fish (or perhaps flowers or birds) it gives kind of an interesting effect with minimal effort.

Judy

4 Comments:

  • At March 6, 2007 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Annie said...

    Judy,what a great challenge quilt!I don't find even one of those fabrics odd or unusual....they are just the fabrics I love.
    Good luck!

    Annie
    : )

     
  • At March 6, 2007 at 9:51 PM , Blogger BlueThimble said...

    JudyInOhio, I love it! The way the fish pop out is fantastic. I can't wait to see your picture in the Keepsake Quilting prize newsletter, as well as your quilt hanging in the store!

    BlueThimble in Massachusetts

     
  • At March 7, 2007 at 12:37 PM , Blogger dutchrose said...

    great quilt, so glad you posted. are the fish in the middle done with photo transfer fabric? if so, how was it to quilt over; if not, is it regular fabric?
    dutchrose

     
  • At March 7, 2007 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    dutchrose, the fish in the middle are from a regular fabric, fussy cut fish that I took out of the middle of a panel print. Then I took the rest of the panel print and pieced it back together and used that for the backing of the wallhanging. I actually like the backing of this thing much better than I like the front. LOL

    And BlueThimble, I really appreciate your optimistic enthusiasm. If you do see my quilt hanging in the store, please send me a photo of it flapping in the breeze, so to speak!

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home