WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Advice sought

I have been living under a rock with all the fusible web stuff...Steam-a-seam 2, I'm told is better to use for applique work, softer and more pliable. But I'd like to ask what opinions people have of fusible web material...and advice. Also, I have some very lovely hand-dyed velvets that I would like to use in a wallhanging, any suggestions of what to put behind this? It's stretchy material. Also, once fused to the background what kind of stitches are best to use. I don't like zig zag stitching on the machine and want my stitches holding the material down to be non-invasive visually and by hand.
Thanks,
Rosey

2 Comments:

  • At March 29, 2007 at 8:15 AM , Blogger MJ said...

    Rosey, I use Transweb. It comes on a roll and is very lightweight. I should be purchased at a shop with good turnover as the product ages and seperates. If that happens, touch it with the iron and it will stick to the backing again - or return it. For velvet, you could stitch it to muslin for a backing to keep it from stretching. Then use a good spray adhesive to hold it to your project. Dritz has one out now with no smell; Sulky has one that even the most allergic can use. The older products had many chemicals and warnings. Hope this helps,
    MaryJo

     
  • At March 30, 2007 at 4:29 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    They make stuff that is fusible on one side to use on lame' and I've had it so long I don't know the name of it, wonder if it would work on the velvet. I only got enough to do two ice skate blades on a wall hanging. Lavinia

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home