WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, March 26, 2007

Aunt Becky

Mon. 3/16/07

I remember some time ago there was discussion about the Aunt Becky quilting tool, do any of you remember? I didn't pay too much attention then because it didn't appeal to me at the time, now it does.

This last week, I happened on the QNN and the woman who invented (??) the technique was on and demonstrating it but I only caught the last part of the segment. Since then, it seems like that's my next mind-set--to figure out and learn how to use the tool. Didn't someone do the same thing with a spoon? I wish I remembered more about the discussion, it was several years ago, I think.

What's the thought out there? Have any of you learned the technique and how to use the tool? HQing is my favorite, but my wrist sure does get tired, not to mention the pain in developing the callous on my under finger after not quilting for awhile.

I just called my LQS and they don't carry it, so I'll have to order it on-line. After I get input from all you first, huh?

I am so enjoying looking at all your quilts, one day, I'll learn how to upload pics from the digital too.

4 Comments:

  • At March 26, 2007 at 7:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jinny Beyer has a page on quilting with a spoon on her website. It's the same concept, I think.

     
  • At March 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM , Blogger blocke Oregon said...

    mamita, you might have seen Jean Brown who demonstrates the Aunt Becky and is the fastest quilter making small stitches that I have ever seen. I took her class and learned how, but don't do it any more. My left hand cramps when I hold the tool in the proper position.

    I think it is worth trying to see if it fits your style...costs around 5 dollars at Joanns here in Portland and I remember seeing them in a catalogue--perhaps Connecting Threads.

    Good luck. Betty

     
  • At March 26, 2007 at 11:53 PM , Blogger Irene said...

    Mamita,
    I use the Aunt Becky tool when I hand quilt. It's marvelous not to have sore fingers. I change my grip underneath, so don't hold it the same way all the time. Good luck. If it works for you it's a wonderful tool.
    Irene in Washington

     
  • At March 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    I sort of learned how to use it too, but I found turning & curving really difficult. I think I gave it away or I'd sentd it to you. That Jean Brown is amazing like Betty says, really fast. She does beautiful work.
    Jill

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home