WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"maid of honor" wood quilt frame

hello to all! I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this frame used? this frame has little tiny pins along the edges of the wood frame. Would you tie the quilt to the pins? surely you wouldn't stab the fabric onto the pins?!
A neighbor just brought over his mother's frame that he found in the farm house that he grew up in and it is this same one featured above, except with all the parts.
the wood frame doesn't "roll", there are no ratchets to roll the quilt. I am stumped as to how to attach the quilt, any help to figure this out would be appreciated!
thanks in advance (TIA)
Katie
2/15/07
I went back and edited the "link" out of this post, it was going off the page and bothering me.
Katie

5 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2007 at 10:44 AM , Blogger blocke Oregon said...

    Katie: that's not a quilt frame it's an old curtain stretcher to use for lace curtains. I stuck my fingers too many times to have fond memories, but that's what it is.

     
  • At February 14, 2007 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Katie said...

    Really? gosh, somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember something like that....

     
  • At February 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    My quilt frame from an auction has 4 standards that you rest the four boards on. The boards are connected at the corner with C clamps to hold it square. An older QF told me to make muslin sleeves for the boards and pin my quilt to these sleeves. I guessed it was a lace curtain stretcher also.

     
  • At February 14, 2007 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    My quilt frame from an auction has 4 standards that you rest the four boards on. The boards are connected at the corner with C clamps to hold it square. An older QF told me to make muslin sleeves for the boards and pin my quilt to these sleeves. I guessed it was a lace curtain stretcher also.

     
  • At February 17, 2007 at 10:00 AM , Blogger katyquilt said...

    Yep, C-Clamps and our quilters at church use "denim" which is staple gunned to the long boards. The quilt bottom and top are then pinned to this denim strip which runs the length of the boards with the batting between. This all sits on some wooden stands that one of the husbands made. It used to be attached by 4 cords in the corners to the ceiling and rolled up when finished for the day. The Sunday School class could see the progression of the quilt each week! It got kinda hard for the ladies to climb on the chairs to roll it up and down, so they went with the stands and got a room specifically for the quilters. Much easier for them.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home