WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

This is going to be fun!



Just had to play with this for just a bit before heading off to bed. This is a portion of a quilt my great grandmother made and my grandmother who is 94/95? quilted, shortly after she got married, over 74 years ago. I get to sleep under it when I go for visits and it is soooo soft and I just love it. "It's just something to keep you warm!" My grandmother means for her quilts to be used. I would love for her to pass this one on to me, but there are other family members that have that wish too! The Octagon pieces meet up perfectly! Great workmanship! The quilting is done in a down to business pattern. Diagonals across the quilt top... I love the fabrics!!!


Like the new format. I think once everyone gets used to the set up and everything, they will find it lots of fun, especially the photo option! Yeah for digital cameras!

5 Comments:

  • At January 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM , Blogger katyquilt said...

    Sorry for two pictures of the same thing, I enlarged the photo, and couldn't figure out how to get rid of the smaller one! ;-)

     
  • At January 30, 2007 at 11:27 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    That is a such a lovely family heirloom and thank you so much for sharing the story of it. I certainly hope that whoever inherits it will cherish it and care for it and continue to let it be used in a respectful way as long as the fabrics hold up. I suspect those feedsack cottons are standing the test of time pretty well ... they certainly look good in the photo.

    Judy

     
  • At January 31, 2007 at 5:56 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Great quilt, perhaps you can make a repro for yourself before it changes hands..loved the story. Lavinia-TN

     
  • At January 31, 2007 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Celia in NB said...

    Such a lovely old quilt. Loved the story behind it too. Thanks for sharing.
    Celia in NB

     
  • At January 31, 2007 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Katy, there are so many reproduction feedsack fabrics out there on the market now ... it would be a "challenge" to yourself to create a reproduction of this quilt as close as you could to the original. And then if you did create a perfect reproduction you could be nonchalant about the destiny of the orginal one. (I know that my grandma's one remaining "good" quilt went to the oldest daughter of her only daughter which seemed like a reasonable way to decide who inherited the lovely Broken Dishes quilt that was kept "for best". All of Grandma's other quilts were used up and worn out.)

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home