WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My 1900 Trashy Log Cabin quilt


Here is the "unfinished" finished project from what I am calling the Trashy Log Cabin quilt (see my previous post).

Sadly, the fabrics in this quilt were almost unretrievable. The blacks were shattered. The coloreds were exceedingly thin...they were undoubtedly low-thread count when new and after 100 years they are even lower.

All is now in the trash except for these 12 blocks (oops...6 blocks) and my photos. At least the quilt lives on in photo format and in miniature wall quilt size. (you can click for a closer view)

I'll back this with a piece of vintage cotton sacking and finish it. Someday.

Right now it's pinned to my living room wall alongside a tiny quilt made from early 1900s shirting fabric samples (which were in like-new condition when I found them in a box purchased at an auction).

Doncha love the chrome yellow!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At October 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Love your little log cabin. And yes I love the cheddar fabric. I did a similar thing recently. Hope you can go to this link and see. It was so much fun. I call myself a rescuer.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/lynnquilt/Churn

     
  • At October 5, 2011 at 6:33 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    Just wonderful Judy! I think it's neat that you were able to save even a little of that history. I didn't notice the use of the half square triangle as the center block until it was smaller. I like that idea!

     
  • At October 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    I like that half-square triangle center also - never thought about doing it that way. It keeps a nice even edge between the lights and darks.

     
  • At October 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    You got your money's worth of fun out of that "find", didn't you? Too bad there was so little fabric worth salvaging but I agree, the chrome yellow is a wonderful bright spot on the wall.

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home