WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, September 26, 2011

Just call me Glutton

When you see the project I took on this week you will call me "glutton for punishment".


Saturday I purchased an antique log cabin quilt. By the fabrics I'm guessing 1900-1910 at the latest. Fabrics include indigos, shirtings, chrome yellow, mourning blacks, checked and plaids, and the reds of that era. (you can click the photos for closer views)


The logs were hand-stitched to a flannel square and then the squares were hand-stitched together. The batt? A lumpy-dumpy thick cotton batt.


The backing fabric had once upon a time been quite lovely but it wore badly. The owner then hand-stitched a white flannel over the major portion of the back. I tried to salvage some of that backing but it was dry-rot.


Some fabs were shredded from age or use. Some are salvageable. But probably only with intense work. So I decided to take it apart (completely!) and restitch the logs to a "small" wall quilt.

Sorry about the sideways full view...it turned sideways when I uploaded it. Tried it twice. Same each time.


I've removed the backing and the batt, leaving only the flannel blocks stitched together. Then I washed it on gentle. Three times. The fabs, of course, are faded. And they still look a bit dingey. But this IS an old quilt. And obviously a much-used quilt.


I'm taking apart the blocks and re-stitching them to a "little" size. The finished block will be five-inches. I would have preferred a smaller "miniature" quilt, but then I would have lost much of the patterns of the fabrics.

I think I have taken on a time-consuming task...haven't decided whether I'll stick with it or not.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2011 at 3:21 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    Judy,
    That quilt makes my pulse race. I love the old quilts. It is of the same era of a quilt we recently inherited from my husband's family. It's lumpy too. I plan to reproduce the quilt pattern in a new quilt, but those blues have been impossible, so I am going to have to go darker. It is set with solid gold blocks between a double basket block. Too irregularly done to try to use the old, but a copy will be just the ticket. I'm still looking for that gingham that is featured in yours - size is the issue. Enjoy the process!

     
  • At September 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    It is hard to believe that you and I are such good buddies since our tastes in quilt fabrics are so widely divergent.

    At least we will never have to worry about stealing from each other. LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home