WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

vintage thimble holder




This is a little quilty--just wanted to share a couple of really cool things that were brought to our church yard sale. The first is a silver thimble holder sent home from Germany during WWII. It is a miniature German stein and still has the original thimble. An almost identical one sold on ebay last week for $75. I think it's so cool! Of course, we couldn't put it on a yard sale for $5.00.

Same for the second item from the same lady. She brought us a hinged and clasped clam shell that belonged to her grandmother in the mid 1880s. It has a red insert of 3 pockets. She said her grandmother and her mother kept their good rings in it. A much newer one with no inner pockets sold on ebay for almost $100.

I know there are a couple of collectors of the vintage on here so thought you might like to see the pics. Unfortunately, I can't seem to pick up any of the detailed etching/embossing on the stein or the stars around the bottom of the thimble.

judy in ar

2 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2011 at 3:27 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    What treasures Judy! I collect the silver thimbles - American made. I have seen that shell container featured in sewing tools books also. I never knew it had leather inside. Maybe some didn't. I don't even think I have seen a picture of the stein thimble holder.I hope you acquired them for yourself. They are precious and with great provenance.

     
  • At October 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Love them! The clam shells were pretty common in the rivers in the Midwest when I was growing up. But never thought of making something like this!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home