WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, April 7, 2011

buying sewing machines

Whenever people ask my advice about buying a new sewing machine, I always say, "It's the dealer." No matter what brand you prefer make sure the dealer will be there when you need him. When I wanted a computer machine 20 years ago, I narrowed my choice between a Bernina and a New Home Memorycraft. I chose the New Home.

After I got my machine home, I discovered that the buttonhole size would not hold. I took it back a couple times for repair. The dealer gave me a new machine. He said New Home would not approve it, but he wasn't willing to sew on a frustrating/undependable machine either, and he didn't expect his customers to. He voluntarily did it, I never even asked.

Also, a year later, the Bernina dealer disappeared when the fabric store in which it had been located closed. I have NEVER regretted my decision. That machine is still the one I have and I've never had another problem.

Your dealer should come through for you in the same way. I would keep pounding the dealer's door--the greasy wheel so to speak. Likewise, bombard Bernina customer service until they get tired of hearing from you. It's just too much money to not get satisfaction. You should report them to your local Better Business and let everyone you know hear the story in every fabric store you visit, your quilt guild, etc. The Bernina dealer will not like the bad publicity.

I hope more people will respond to your dilemma. I want to hear the other opinions.
judy in ar

6 Comments:

  • At April 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM , Blogger Janell said...

    Thanks Judy. Great advice. Part of the problem with the local dealer is son has taken over for dad. I never would have had this problem if dad was still in charge. In fact, I kept trying to get son to reverse the charge for the foot pedal on my credit card and it wasn't until I finally got ahold of dad in the store one day that the credit charge was reversed. I won't be going back there for tune-ups any more.

     
  • At April 8, 2011 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    I would contact the Bernina of America-either by E mail or snail mail. Tell them the problem, and that the son hasn't resolved it. They should either take care of it for you or apply pressure for the dealer to do so.
    I had sort of the same problem here, lousy service, etc. That is why I now own a Janome 1600.
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At April 8, 2011 at 6:19 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    I would contact the Bernina of America-either by E mail or snail mail. Tell them the problem, and that the son hasn't resolved it. They should either take care of it for you or apply pressure for the dealer to do so.
    I had sort of the same problem here, lousy service, etc. That is why I now own a Janome 1600.
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At April 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    Many years ago I bought a GE diswasher that just didn't get the dishes clean. I did everything the deal recommended to no avail. He then tried to blame it on the water. It was the same water everyone in St. Pete and Clearwater area used. I finally packed up a bunch of dishes still sporting egg yolk and other remnants of the previous day's meals. I banged on the manager's door (he'd been refusing to see me) and told him that if I didn't get satisfaction I was going to display my grubby dishes in the show room. He refunded the full price of the dishwasher and I then purchased a Kenmore. I've had several GE dishwashers since and they receive high marks from Consumer's Roport. Clearly there was something radically wrong with that one.

     
  • At April 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    What's that they say about the squeaky wheel? I'm a firm believer in going to the source for complaints. If handled in a calm to-the-point manner you can usually get results. I went all the way to the president of my ins. co. once before I got results.

     
  • At April 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

    Oh My gosh....you found me and that way I found you. I have ALWAYS drooled and admired quilts and quilters. I made my version of a guilt making 10" blocks out of my son's old t-shirts from youth through college. It is absolutely nothing like the beautiful work you do but my son loves it and my youngest son looks forward to his being made. I dare not venture into a new craft, but your craft is one I have admired for years and would love to do something but on a more simpler scale....don't hate me for that...but something I could say was a real quilt. I met quilters who were VERY uptight and turned their nose up to anything that wasn't fantastic and intricate...another reason for me to shy away. I look forward into peeking into you blog with all your goodies and beautiful work. WOW!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home