WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Met a Famous Quilter and We Giggled Together!












I could fill a long page with a rambling story but I'll try to make it brief. Went to a very small quilt show in gallery in Columbus, Ohio. Found a small painting on fabric for sale in the gift shop. This painting was by Susan Shie, a quilter I have long admired for her somewhat obsessive style of covering every square inch of fabric. (Can't say I admire her subjects but her technique fascinates me.) As I was paying for my purchase (and getting ready to leave the gallery) I was startled to see Susan Shie and her husband walking in ... turns out they were on their way home from Susan teaching a class in Tennessee and they stopped by to see the exhibition. I was thrilled at the chance to meet the woman whose art I had just bought and after I introduced my DH to her DH (mine's a woodworker, hers is a leather and woodworker) she and I had about twenty or thirty minutes of chat time together. She was tickled to meet a delighted fan and we both moaned about carpal tunnel problems and such. What a thrill to meet someone I've admired for years!! And I now have my own "St Quilta the Comforter" piece to hang on a wall in my sewing room. But Susan says I must take it out of the plastic frame and quilt it ....

Judy in Ohio

8 Comments:

  • At October 13, 2009 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    Judy- which one are you i the picture?
    Sara in fla

     
  • At October 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I'm the one on the right in the green shirt, holding the painting of St. Quilta. Susan is a legally blind albino which makes her art all the more remarkable. She and her husband have a website at www.turtlemoon.com where you can find out more about her art and life. When we were going around the gallery looking at other quilts she had to put her nose within inches of the placards by the quilts in order to read the information printed on them.

     
  • At October 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    Hmmm. I wonder. Please ask Susan when one celebrates the feast of St. Quilta. I think we should all celebrate such a personage. Could she be the patron saint of quilters?

    Jane

     
  • At October 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I think you can pick any date you want for St. Quilta the Comforter's special day. Perhaps it is any day that you are having a bad day and perhaps you can have multiple St. Q days in a year.

    I read on Susan's site that St. Quilta is a creation she made in honor of her mother who was a greatly loved nurse. The gimmick with St. Quilta is that she always has a tea cup on her head so I suppose you should have a tea party on your St. Quilta Day.

    I have ordered some fabrics that I hope to use to make a simple background for my St. Quilta wallhanging ...

     
  • At October 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    St. Quilta. I love her already, and I'm a prostant. Maybe I will have a cup'a in her honor in 5 min.
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At October 16, 2009 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    What a wonderful chance meeting! Gives one goose-bumps. Susan's work is truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.
    Mary in Oregon

     
  • At October 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a delightful work. It makes me happy just to look at it. You were so lucky that day!
    Milli in MA

     
  • At October 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Methinks Judy in Ohio is somewhat of a famous quilter herself. I've known her a long time and have seen a lot of her work. But that aside, it must have been pretty cool to have this perchance meeting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home