WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, November 24, 2007

COLD HANDS

and feet. Judy, I was going to respond as a comment but thought better of that. While this isn't exactly quilt related it certainly makes a difference if you are a quilter. I speak of Raynaud's disease. Only a rheumatologist can tell you for sure but it's a problem I've had since my teens. My early and long lasting smoking habit certainly made it much worse than had I had the sense to refrain. My daughter who has never smoked has it took, even in Los Angeles. It is a disorder that causes the capillaries in extremities to constrict if any part of you gets chilled. When it's bad it doesn't make any difference what you are wearing but keeping yourself warm is certainly the first line of defense. Two of my toes have been repeatedly frost bitten which has done a fair amount of tissue damage and can now occur significantly above freezing. I know just what you are going through. Get some very serious (and no doubt expensive) skiing mittens. Mittens are much better than gloves as having all your fingers in one place, surrounded by insulation is much more effective. When walking out doors in cold weather I wear good wool or synthetic socks designed for hunting/skiing. I've also read that keeping the back of your neck protected helps too. I have an unusually heavy head of hair for such an old hag but I still wear a hat, no matter how it messes the hair pulled down over my ears. Ears and nose are also susceptible. If you smoke - DON'T. There is medication which helps. One is a vaso-dilator such as heart patients use. That has made a big difference in my problem. I just walked Shadow to the mailbox a bit under a half mile each way while the temperature is in low fifties and my toes are cold fifteen minutes after getting home. Don't immerse your extremities in very hot water as you might not have enough sensation to be able to tell if it is too hot. I've found that sitting with my hands under my butt and thighs helps warm them. Google Renaud's and talk to your doc.

To make this more quilt specific I now see light at the end of the boys' rag quilts tunnel. They are not done but I think they will be in time for Santa to deliver them.

Jane in NC

4 Comments:

  • At November 25, 2007 at 9:38 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Thanks, Jane, I probably don't have Reynaud's, at least not in the full-flown sense. My hands and feet get cold probably for several reasons -- sometimes I run around barefoot in the house when I should have slippers on my feet. LOL. However, I appreciate your comments, and yes, I noticed too that if I keep a scarf around my throat in the winter I am more comfortable. I love my turtlenecks in cold weather.

     
  • At November 26, 2007 at 3:58 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Thanks for your post. A nurse mentioned Raynauds to me when I had my colonoscopy. My hands got so cold she filled something with warm water and put in my hands to warm them up. Haven't thought about it since, but am always cold--hands, arms, legs, feet. Have to look into that I guess but hate taking any kind of meds. Hugs. Lavinia

     
  • At November 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Lavinia, people sometimes have a thyroid that has "retired", so to speak. And one of the signs that your thyroid has retired is that you are cold all of the time. Taking a tiny Synthroid pill is no more shameful than a diabetic taking insulin ...

    Judy in Ohio

     
  • At November 27, 2007 at 5:02 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Oh Judy, I do take thyroid meds since the mid 80s. My husband doesn't understand it at all...he's always hot, I'm always cold, LOL.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home