WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, October 1, 2007

"Mother Earth & Her Children"

The "best-of-show" quilt at the 2006 International Quilt Festival is not a quilt that any of us can recreate because I will flatly state that none of us have the skill, artistry and dedication it would take to make a masterpiece like the one made by Sieglinde Schoen Smith. However, we can buy the next best thing ... her art has been captured in the pages of a book designed for children.

The most recent issue of "Quilters Newsletter" (November, 2007, page 50) has an article about the book. QN interviewed Sieglinde and the article explains how the book came to be published. I plan to buy a copy as a Christmas gift for my granddaughters who are four and a half years old because I think they will be charmed by the story and by the incredibly delicate illustrations that go with the story. (I suspect that my DDIL could not sew on a button to save her life; my DS is competent with a sewing machine and so my DS does the clothing repairs in their family. DS will explain to his daughters about the hand stitching in the artwork in the book.)

Here's a link to the publisher's website: http://www.brecklingpress.com/mother_earth_info.htm

Judy

7 Comments:

  • At October 1, 2007 at 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wasn't that a great issue? I wasn't going to buy any more quilt magazines but when they did the magazine over I couldn't resist and have been very pleased with it. I want the book for ME and the price is right!
    Milli

     
  • At October 1, 2007 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I agree, Milli, the revitalized Quilters Newsletter is a fantastic magazine these days. I did buy two copies of the book .... one copy for my twins and one for me to study. Second childhood is fun. :-)

    Judy

     
  • At October 2, 2007 at 9:05 AM , Blogger CCB said...

    I have only seen pictures of the award winning quilt and I am sure the workmenship is awesome and deserving of the award. I don't like the theme at all though, children buried underground? I know it means birth, spring, and so on but it gives me a creepy feeling. Carol in AR

     
  • At October 2, 2007 at 9:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I saw the quilt at the Harrisburg show on Sept. 7th. It's awesome. The woman is doing a book signing this Saturday at Burkholders Quilt Shop in Denver, PA (Lancaster County). The entire trip was made worth while because of getting to meet the woman. She had the book that was used as her inspiration, as it was a childhood keepsake from where she is from. Her entire story is awesome. It took her 1 year and 1 day to complete the quilt. It was done as her "therapy" after losing her son. AND, she has had a stroke (I don't know if the the stroke was before or after the quilt). She was a delight and made the trip from California to PA all worth it! Get the book if you can!

     
  • At October 2, 2007 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    ccb, the children are not "buried" underground ... it's supposed to be a fairy tale and they are living underground with their mother who sends them forth in the spring. A child who reads this book would understand that these imaginary children are not "buried" any more than bunny rabbits or foxes or any other creatures who burrow in the earth.

    Judy

     
  • At October 3, 2007 at 11:38 AM , Blogger dutchrose said...

    thanx for this post... i bought three books, one for each set of grandkids and it will be under their tree in december. of course i'll take advantage of the in between time to enjoy the story and pictures!
    dutchrose ---{-@

     
  • At October 6, 2007 at 3:37 PM , Blogger CindyB said...

    I have since read the book, very cute story, but the quilt still gives me a creepy feeling.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home