WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Summer is not the best time


Summer just is not the best time to work on a quilt. Too many other happenings. A wedding to go to. Tomatoes to can. Peaches to freeze. Grandsons to watch over. Still...I'm managing to cut a few blocks at a time on my scrappy shirt quilt. This will be the first quilt I have pieced exclusively on a treadle. Pedaling that machine and watching it efficiently piece seems oddly more fun than using my "like-new" Singer 403 (a machine from the 1960s.) LOL.

Pat, your vintage Singer handcrank with the sphinx decals is gorgeous. I wonder if Singer ever had "official" names for their decals.

JudyPete

2 Comments:

  • At August 5, 2007 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    You've given us excellent examples of how "value" can completely change the look of a block. It's not so much the color of the fabric as the lightness or the darkness. All of those blocks are the same pattern but they look remarkably different depending on the placement of value.

    Judy

     
  • At August 5, 2007 at 3:51 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy - The was the color values change the look of a block is one of the things that most intrigued me when I first started quilting. I'd cut out pictures of quilts from catalogs that, like yours, were the same block but different color placement, and I'd write things like "this is the same block!!!" on the picture. I have all of those in a folder and when I go back to look at them I see why I became so hooked! Thanks for letting us see your latest - keep it up! NancyH

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home