WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, August 5, 2007

One More Reason to Teach Your Kids to Quilt

We have a wedding coming up this week and I've discovered one more reason to teach your children and grandchildren to quilt...they'll know how to use a needle and thread.. Tomorrow I will be shortening the hems on two pair of dressy slacks for a DGD. Yesterday I took a short tuck, using needle and thread, in the tie strings of a white eyelet cotten sun dress, size four. Nobody in this family knows how to use a needle and thread except for two DDs. In fact, I'm not certain anyone in this family even HAS a needle and thread in their household (other than the two DDs, one of whom I taught to quilt, and one who is an expert with the embroidery needle...her stitches rival the finest I've seen anywhere).

It's not that anyone these days really needs to sew garments...they're so plentiful and so inexpensive. However, everyone should know how to sew on a button in an emergency and to hem a pair of new slacks when need be. One of these days all of us DGMs will be long gone and all of America will be tripping over their hems....all because we failed in our duty to instruct them in the simple use of a needle and thread. LOL

JudyPete

2 Comments:

  • At August 6, 2007 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    It's surprising to me when I learn that someone doesn't even have a needle and thread in their house. It's happened twice in my lifetime that I recall. And these were intelligent people, too!!

    Judy

     
  • At August 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    When my DIL asked me to sew the Girl Scout patches onto DGD's sash, I told her I'd teach her and her daughter how to do it themselves. I made them watch while I did one (there were a whole bag of them waiting for my visit), then I had each of them stitch until they were all on. Simple simple running stitches - size didn't matter. But now they know! NancyH

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home