WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Quilters of the Past were soooooo Talented!


Wow! In today's mail I received an unexpected package from a quilter that I met several years ago while visiting a friend several states away. This young quilter (younger than me is young! LOL) recently acquired an assortment of vintage sewing items. She knows I love vintage quilts and sent me several bunches of lovely, absolutely lovely, vintage quilt blocks.
One bunch included a large stack of grandmother's flower garden blocks with the hexes a bit over an inch across when sewn in place. They were fussy-cut so that the cut pieces were identical to each other. These are hand-stitched so you can see the tremendous amount of time involved in putting these together.
In the photo I've laid out a number of the blocks so you could see the patterns in the 1930s fabrics.
It was a common practice for those stitching GFGs to fussy-cut the floral pieces. Sometimes you will see fussy-cut conversational prints in these quilts. It would not surprise me if Bethany Reynlds got her idea of stack n whack from this method. Of course, fussy-cut is a bit different than stack n whack but the idea is the same...multiple pieces of identical cut.
Anyway, wanted to share this morning's surprise with all of you. Later I will take every single thing out of this box and look it over more carefully...blocks for two other quilts, some vintage batiste baby gowns, some pieces of unused vintage 1930s solids and white cotton, etc.
I am totally flabbergasted by this unexpected gift! How very kind of her to send this package to me. And if she's reading this post, I'm waving my hand in "Hi!" and "Thank you so much!"
JudyPete

5 Comments:

  • At July 26, 2007 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    What a magnificent examples of fussy cutting! I wonder what happened to the person who made these blocks and why she was not able to finish making the quilt? Don't you sometimes wish that finely made quilt blocks (or a superb quilt top) could talk and explain how they came to be abandoned?

    Judy

     
  • At July 26, 2007 at 12:09 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    You are fortunate to have such a wonderful friend. I enlarged the picture and these blocks are gorgeous. I've never seen a GFG done quite like this. All that work for each individual hexie and then not put together. Thank you so much for sharing the pic!

     
  • At July 26, 2007 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Marge said...

    Hi Judy Pete, Those quilt blocks are wonderful. Like Judy in Ohio said, don't you wish you knew who made them. I was given an old (30's)Sun Bonnet Sue Quilt and do not know the maker. It just screamed to be hand-quilted which is what I am doing and I love it. You are very lucky your friend thought of you. Marge in Pa.

     
  • At July 26, 2007 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    JudyPete, you absolutely MUST finish the quilt and write a magazine article about it ... think big time, think Quilter's Newsletter for this one!!!

    Judy

     
  • At July 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    judy in ohio, you're pushing the wrong buttons on this one. Nooooo Wayyyyy on the magazine article. I'm done with them. And besides...one lady died before she finished this quilt...I figure I'm good for only another 20 years, 30 at the most. Do you suppose QN mag will still be in business when I complete it? ROFLOL. But, yes, I picture a real challenge to my quilty self with these pieces. They are too lovely to store away for another several decades.
    JudyPete

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home