WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Follow-Up on Whopper-Jawed Fabric

After I posted the photo of my dreadfully crooked fabric here on the BB blog I taped it together with blue painter's masking tape (for dramatic effect ... much livelier than using the tan tape). Then I wrote a polite (but lightly sarcastic) note to the effect that since the half-yard piece of fabric was so crooked I could not use it I was returning it to the company. I used a Priority Mail envelope to send this off to Benartex ... spent more to mail it to the home office than I did on the fabric. I received this email this afternoon:

"Hello Judy,

We here at Benartex are truly sorry on one hand that the fabric you bought was not of good quality, on the other hand your letter was well written and placed a smile on our faces. Would you be so kind to allow us to make it up to you and replace the fabric that you purchased? We would need the amount of yards & an address to have the yardage shipped.

Again, thank you for being a great Benartex customer."


Well, now, this person is not paying attention! LOL

I sent my entire half-yard purchase in the envelope. (Yards??) I sent my letter on stationery that had my address on it. Those fancy folks in New York City are just acting goofy .... but at least I think I am going to get a half-yard of fabric from Bentarex to replace the half-yard that I sent to them. Time will tell.

Judy in Ohio

4 Comments:

  • At July 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    Hi Judy:
    Wow - do you suppose with the ridiculous cost of fabric at quilt shops the manufacturer could consider doubling the amount of fabric you bought and then include some other perks for the trouble, postage, handling, frustration, etc??? Duh.... Replacing the exact amount of your fabric does not an impression make! Plus the fact you already listed the yardage and your address. Eiiikes!
    Phyllis in Minnesota

     
  • At July 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Phyllis, I will let you know exactly what Benartex sends ....

    Judy

     
  • At July 26, 2007 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    Judy,
    The only fabric I ever had extreme trouble with was Benartex. Mind you it was only one piece - again about a half yard like yours. It was on a table of irregular fabrics in a discount store, but let me remind you irregular is supposed to be flawed only in a way that will not affect the wear. My piece "shredded" when I prewashed it - strips about 1" wide! Am I ever glad I generally prewash my fabric. Think what that would have done in a completed quilt! It was in the Fons & Porter line and I showed it to Liz Porter at a workshop (not in show & tell but off to the side with her). She seemed offended by me showing her what had happened and told me to contact the company. I didn't think it was worth my time and expense. I was just surprised she showed no interest in investigating it for herself since her name was on it, but I do not think they design for them anymore. I didn't expect her to do anything for me. I just thought I was doing her a service and thought she might acknowlege it in a more positive way.

     
  • At July 27, 2007 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    Judy - sounds like you got the Basic Form Letter #1. ;-) All they do is plug in your name at the "Dear _____"

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home