WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mayme taught me something new today. After she mentioned locker hooking in her post I went to google and looked it up. My, my! I've made rag rugs before using two different techniques...the regular crochet method and the toothbrush method. But I had never heard of locker hooking before. After checking it out, I will respectfully decline to take up this new (old) craft. LOL. Its too similar to yarn hooked rugs where you use a hook to bring strips of yarn through a canvas. I once tried that and quit after an hour. I've done nearly every other sewing imaginable, but rug hooking simply did not suit my attention span. I'm afraid locker hooking would be the same. Still, I would love to see photos if Mayme could post them for us. I can enjoy viewing another person's work even if it is a type of craft that I do not wish to do myself.

The toothbrush rug was made with a "needle" made from a plastic toothbrush handle. Those handles used to have a hole in the end for hanging purposes I suppose. To make a needle required one to cut off the brush end, then shape the cut end to a round soft point. Rag strips were inserted into the eye of the needle and the rug was constructed by doing a stitch similar to a blanket stitch round and round until the rug was of the desired size. The resulting rug was very sturdy.

My, my, that was a long time ago.

JudyPete

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home