WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

DGGS, the new quilter, the old machine



A week or so ago I shared a photo of DGGS with his first sewing lesson on my treadle "Elizabeth Redeye". This morning he learned to use a handcrank. He and I decided we should oil it before using it again as it took a little muscle to turn and it kept sliding on the tabletop. Last week's pillow was a nine-patch. This morning he stitched together sixteen squares to make a larger pillow. AND he had a successful lesson in using a very, very hot iron. No burns. LOL.

The first pillow, the nine-patch, is currently at the county fair where we hope he will win a blue ribbon for his sewing endeavors. That may be very possible for this was an open-class entry and our fair is soooo small he may have no competition. LOL.

Today's 16-patch used red, white, blue patriotic fabrics.

And for you ladies worried about my stealing shirts off handsome men's backs, your suggestion (as I call it) has induced me to tuck a pair of scissors in my purse...if someone will divert the next guy's attention I may be able to snip a 6-inch charm square while he's not looking. LOL

JudyPete

1 Comments:

  • At July 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    JudyPete: I think a scissors is a great idea because a rotary cutter could get you into REAL trouble!
    You have been influencing me into thinking about making a quilt from shirt fabic this winter. I am heading for a 2nd hand store with my SIL this weekend. I lost my husband to cancer last fall and have kept all his jeans and flannel plaid shirts and will making something for the grandchildren in the future.
    Love your new machine. I have my grandma's Damascus treadle machine that still works.
    Enjoy and keeping cutting, Phyllis in Minnesota

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home