WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Treadling

JudyPete, you have a lovely machine. I've been doing some piecing on my Davis Vertical Feed treadle lately, since it's so accurate. I have it set up with a seam guide all the time, set for a scant 1/4 inch. I test it by sewing 3 strips together that are 1 1/2 inches wide, then measuring to make sure that the final piece is exactly 3 1/2 inches wide. I fuss with it until it's just right. Then, I leave it set up that way until I need to do some straight line quilting. The Davis has no feed dogs--the needle goes down into the fabric, and then the mechanism moves the needle and all the layers of fabric back, so there are no annoying puckers on the back. Can you tell I love this machine? I used to have a Singer 66 Redeye, but passed it along to another quilter several years ago. Treadles are so controllable. By stopping my feet, I have needle up/needle down whenever I wish.

Pat in Rockport, TX

1 Comments:

  • At September 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I totally agree about the Davis VF. I love mine and I too passed my Singer red eye along to someone else the moment I was able to locate and set up my Davis. Getting the attachments was MUCH harder. They only come up for auction once in a blue moon, so usually you have to buy the machine with them in the drawer already. It took me a long time, but eventually I located a machine with them. Once I did, I was thrilled with them. If I didn't need to zig-zag sometimes, I'd probably be selling all the other machines here, not only the Singers (401 & 201), but also the others. The Davis' stitch is so superior one wonders why the industry ever abandoned this type of fabric moving mechanism for the vastly inferior feed dogs. Probably in order to zig-zag. A walking foot is no where near as accurate, IMO. Not even my industrial Singer makes a better stitch.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home