WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Continuing saga of Pigeon Forge (LONG, scroll by if not interested)

I wrote a nice letter with the help of a friend. Here is the letter:

124 Treadway Drive
Johnson City, TN 37601
April 28, 2007

Attn: Lana M. Bowes, Events Coordinator
City of Pigeon Forge
P.O. Box 1390
Pigeon Forge, TN 37868-1390

Re: A Mountain Quiltfest 2007

Ms. Bowes:

On March 19th you wrote advising me my quilt, Appalachian Spring~To God be the Glory, had tied for second place in the Quilted for Hire Category, rather than having won 3rd place as the ribbon attached to it represented. I called you and asked if you would replace the white ribbon with a red one – your response was that you would order a red ribbon and “it may take a while to get it,” and I should send the white one back. After some delay trying to find a proper mailing packet, I returned the white 3rd place ribbon on April 19th. You called me upon its receipt and indicated you were mailing the red ribbon that day.

Clearly my point was well taken, since a red ribbon was sent to represent the tied-for-second-place position awarded to my quilt. The ribbon received, however, was satisfactory only in that it was red. It was obviously not for the Pigeon Forge Mountain Quiltfest, but said “Your All American Getaway, Action Packed Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.” To add injury to insult, it is obviously soiled.

The Quiltfest ribbons are things of beauty and something both Pigeon Forge and the recipients can be proud of. Quiltfest has been held in such high esteem for so long that I was shocked and disappointed to receive this. I had been looking forward to sharing my accomplishment with my guild, family and friends, but this ribbon certainly tells a much different story. I would be ashamed to admit I showed in a place that would award this ribbon in recognition of any quality quilt.

I trust you will give this your personal attention; if it is beyond the scope of your authority, please send me the contact information for the appropriate person.

Sincerely,



Lavinia Milligan Sala

Cc: Piecemakers Quilt Guild
Sevier Valley Quilt Guild

----------------------------- RESULT-------------------------------------
A different lady from Special Events called this morning. She stated there had been a misunderstanding and a mistake and that I really got third place, and that another person had tied for second place. I said "I got a letter saying I tied for second." She said the accounting department had to say that to justify sending me the second place money, and that the accounting department had made a mistake in my number (33) and another number (23), reiterating that I really won third place, but they "bumped up" my check.The check did not come from the City of Pigeon Forge, by the way, but from a private corporation. She ended by saying I had my choice between accepting the white ribbon or having a red one made, but that would take a while. I told her the letter they sent already said that. Told her I'd call her back. Had my husband call (after some discussion) and say I would accept the white one, she said she would mail it but that they did offer to make me a red one. OK, fine, till I went to their web site. They have now changed their web site. Before it showed me as tied for second. Now it shows two other ladies tied for second and me back in third, and they have removed the original picture of the quilt I tied with and simply typed in the names of the two people who tied. The name they have added as tied for second instead of me happens to be the coordinator between the two quilt guilds and the city. Needless to say that set me off, and I called back and told her I changed my mind and would like to have the red one made. She said fine, we will mail you one. I said I would appreciate that. End of story (for the moment). Sorry, folks, but the City of Pigeon Forge has now lost all credibility with me after they concocted the above story. Lavinia-TN

2 Comments:

  • At May 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I think those guilds you sent carbon copies of your letter to will be interested in checking the results of your "saga". They might want to consider a boycott of the Pigeon Forge Quiltfest until management has replaced the Events Coordinator.
    Someone has behaved badly and should suffer some kind of consequence.

    Judy

     
  • At May 1, 2007 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    What a shame this quilt show is so poorly managed. Your letter was well written. Their response was poorly chosen.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home