WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Treadle belts

Phyllis, I just saw your comment on my quilt, and your remark about needing to shorten your treadle belt. An inch might be too much to take off at one time. I usually start with 1/4" and work my way up. As our blacksmith used to say when trimming our horses' feet, "I can always take a little more off, but I can't put any back on." Also, if your belt is many years old, it may not be very strong anymore, but it's easy to get a new belt. When you get the new belt, put your foot on one end and give the belt a firm but gentle pull to get some of the stretching done before you put it on the machine. Many sewing machine repair places stock them. I usually got them from a friend in MN that specializes in items for old sewing machines, but now have a roll of 1/4" belt that will work on most of my treadles. A few need 3/8" belting, though. I do hope to see a pic here one of these days of a quilt made on your treadle, what fun.

Pat in Rockport, TX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home