WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Leaping Off a Creative Cliff



After reading about Rosey's commissioned quilt and admiring the precision of the planning and piecing of the bird appliques I am truly in awe of what can be done with talent, skill, patience and time. Rosey's work is so lovely and it is so opposite my approach that it is amazing that we could even be considered "sisters of the cloth" but since we are both quilters, I guess we are.

I am leaping off a creative cliff in my own slap-dash way and I thought I would show you what happens when someone tries to be "original" without a firm plan in mind. Keepsake Quilting has issued one of their semi-annual Challenges with a very peculiar assortment of fabrics. (Trust me, most of the fabrics you see in this photo are not fabrics of my choosing. LOL I chose the blue water-y print and the print with the tropical fish.)

I was interested in this challenge because applique is not allowed. For years and years and years KQ has had mind-boggling applique pieces walk off with their prizes and since I do not do applique I never entered the KQ Challenge but this time I thought I'd give it a whirl. When I opened the challenge packet and saw their six fabrics I was allowed to use I was very annoyed. But then I told myself that if they sent lovely fabrics that played nicely together it would not be a challenge.

My working title is "Kids These Days Just Don't Know How to Dress Nicely!" and now I am faced with a late March deadline and the challenge of piecing these parts together (remember, absolutely no applique!) and coming up with a border and quilting it. And here I am exposing myself to public humiliation on the WWQP BB if I don't get it done. :-) But perhaps by late March you will have forgotten about this posting.

Judy

5 Comments:

  • At February 25, 2007 at 6:28 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy - This is a great design! With the straight lines you should be able to piece it together bit by bit. Love the way they swim outside the border. Good luck in the challenge! NancyH

     
  • At February 25, 2007 at 7:48 PM , Blogger dutchrose said...

    i LOVE your working title ;) great job making all those fabrics work together.
    dutchrose

     
  • At February 25, 2007 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Thank you, NancyH and dutchrose. My reaction when I saw the combination of challenge fabrics they sent was not polite. I probably should have washed my mouth out with soap but since I was alone I didn't bother. I was thinking "What kind of joker picked out these fabrics??!!!??" and so I decided I had to go with a comical theme. There was one fabric I would have paid money for; the other five I would not have taken if someone had tried to give them to me. I guess that truly explains my challenge. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :-)

    Judy

     
  • At February 25, 2007 at 9:35 PM , Blogger quilter522 said...

    Perhaps the challange fabrics originate from materials "people would not have paid money for." Also known as leftovers. Maybe they cut them into pieces, put an assortment together and call it a kit, and voila it fills the bill for a challenge. Pictures of fabrics used in earlier competitions also appear to be chosen the same way. Quite ingenious what people do with them, however! What fun!

     
  • At February 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Using leftovers in their challenges as a way to get them out of the store ..... my goodness, that's certainly a sensible thing for the store owner to do. Makes me look at these dorky fabrics in a new way. I've given a home to "orphans". LOL

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home