WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Better Late Than Never Quilt (aka Y2K)



I will guess that Marilyn's Y2K quilt was made when most of the serious Y2K quilt fans were busy cutting, swapping and collecting their squares of fabrics. At the time all of that activity was going on I thought to myself "I'm never gonna sew 2,000 squares of fabric together!" Many of the serious Y2K quilters also had the goal of finishing their Y2K quilts before the year 2000 began.

Being a slow learner I wasn't even interested in working on a Y2K quilt until I saw JudyPete's beauty in 2003 and I realized that a beauty could be made from peculiar and odd bits of fabric . I found a set of Y2K squares for sale on eBay and won the auction as I was the only bidder. The eBay seller told me that her sister had collected the fabrics but then procrastinated about designing a quilt until she died. I think there's a moral to that story.

By 2003 hundreds of quilters had posted online photos labeled "Y2K quilt" or "millenium quilt" at Webshots.com so I spent some time cruising that site looking for inspiration. I realized that the design that really struck my fancy seemed to have a lot more pastels or "lights" than I had in my box of squares. What to do? I cheated. Using eBay again I bought sets of squares of pastels, shirtings and other lights. I discarded some of the fabrics that came in my original box of Y2K fabrics and replaced them. If there are Y2K Police out there (a subset of the notorious Quilt Police) then I am in deep trouble. LOL

Judy

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At February 4, 2007 at 2:56 PM , Blogger katyquilt said...

    Very nice! I think everyone had their slight variation on the Y2K's.

     
  • At February 4, 2007 at 4:23 PM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    Why would you think it was cheating to improve on your set of fabrics? Lights are indeed the hardest to collect. You did a great job!
    I'll have to see if I have a photo of the Y2K quilt I made for my grandson, born in March 2000.

     
  • At February 4, 2007 at 4:58 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Nice work, Judy! Love the high-contrast with the white. Somehow I've gotten away from using white as a background, but I think I need to try it again. Love the results. NancyH

     
  • At February 4, 2007 at 10:41 PM , Blogger Celia in NB said...

    Very nice and colourful Judy. I was wondering how you got it to hang like that then I realized you were inside it! Too funny!
    Celia

     
  • At February 4, 2007 at 11:43 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Celia, I had just finished the binding on the quilt and was doing the "happy dance" when my DH picked up the digital camera and said "Let me take a photo of this". We moved outdoors for better lighting and I swirled around like a child in a school play ... I was delighted to be done with the thing!

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Marigold101 said...

    I still have my set of Y2K squares, and last year I sorted them by color. Your quilt is so colorful - I should get going on mine.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home